Sunday, April 12, 2009

Birds and Canal Houses

My neighbour left a bag of scraps in my mailbox, there were some weird bits of fabric in there, fabric I wouldn't normally use, some terry cloth, faux suede, bits of jeans, etc...there was also this square of randomly pieced red and white fabric. It was uneven and the seams were thick and varied in width, top-stitched in places... I thought hmmph...I found out later that she and her daughter made gift bags for a party out these pieces and this was left over...anyway, they went away for easter and I am taking care of their cat, so I am giving this piece back to them, altered my way...!


Spring Grackle!
I am obsessed with birds lately! I guess it is spring!
Anyway, I'll leave it on their table, for when they come home and they can do with it what they will, maybe they'll hang it on their wall or turn it into a pillow, or whatever...It's their turn in this make shift round robin!
***************

I've got this great Eyewitness Travel Guide to Amsterdam, and inside they have this pull out section of the houses along each of the canals. I've always wanted to make some pieced canal houses. Most pieced houses are a door, window, roof and chimney, but these canal houses are so interesting.

It shows details of the different types of gables of these houses.


So I drew some of my favourites. Trying to keep it simple, and using scraps I attempted my first house (below, based on sketch on left)


I think my windows are too square and the pink is a little lost, but I am just trying to build not be perfect on my first attempt. My second attempt is the warehouse style house, it has those great big shutters.


Much better, I think the windows are better proportioned and the colours are a better contrast, I like my pink shutters.

14 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your canal houses! I have just printed a pattern from Forever Green Quilts to make a BOM house quilt. I have not started it yet, but hope to pick out some fabrics this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing more canal houses! The Cozy Quilter

Quilt Rat said...

Me too! I want to see more houses, this looks like a terrific project. I have a question........If I were to leave some fabric bits in your mailbox could I get a great creation too? Lucky neighbour!

Quiltycat said...

Love the black bird! And the canal houses are great!
nichi

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Well, two lessons in one post! I love the bird applique. But how to do houses is inspirational. I've got to try it on some different houses.

Anonymous said...

Your little houses are beautiful and very unique! I love what you did with the red and white block too - I'm sure they'll like it :-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love your houses...talk about finding inspiration in the strangest places.

shellysquilts said...

I love this bird! Very cute! Well done!

Carol E. said...

Great houses!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh...OH...Love the bird...Love the Houses!!!

Kristin L said...

I love canal houses -- they are all so individual. Yours are adorable. Your bird in a tree is fabulous too. The background is so much fun, especially because you've treated the foreground so simply, letting all the crazy piecing shine!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I LOVE the Amsterdam houses!!! what fun...that brings out the dutch eh? LOL

Magpie Sue said...

Both the grackle and the canal houses are fantastic!

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful work. I love that spring grackle and that canal houses are great. woohoo.

Lynda said...

The shutter house is lovely. Have you visited Amsterdam and seen these houses? They are really narrow, and have big hooks at the apex of the roof so they can heave furniture up (and down) when people move. The stairs are too narrow to carry things up and down!