Thursday, July 10, 2014

Trend-Tex Challenge 2014 - Modern Ways

When I saw these fabrics I knew right away I wanted to make a mid-century modern album cover. My inspiration was Saul Bass, a mid -century graphic artist, who built the bridge from Modern Art to popular culture, his iconic images include movie posters such as Psycho and Vertigo, and logos such as AT&T and United Way. His title sequence for North by Northwest is the main influence for the title sequence of Mad Men.

My quilt is influenced mainly by the poster for the movie, The Man with the Golden Arm but with a touch of “Vertigo”.

Tilting the square gave it a Vertigo feel...

I called it Vertigo: A Tribute to Saul Bass

I used only the fabrics in the challenge for this entry...however I was not done yet. I used a lot of white but not much of the others. I needed to make another.... first I took an old t-shirt of mine

and basically pieced a liberated log cabin...

 This when I thought it needed more black....

and I still needed to add the print... in the challenge you are allowed to add up to 3 additional fabrics, the t-shirt and the black are my add-ons. 

I asked my friend Jill Buckley to machine quilt it for me and we entered it as Take Two. Two friends working on the 2nd creation.

They hung side by side at the CQA show at Brock University.

But wait there is more! still had fabric left over!

I call this one Come on, Get Happy! still not quilted but I am finally done with that fabric. I can move on now.


Saturday, July 05, 2014

Orange Crush!

It's been awhile since I posted, I seem to be missing my quilting mojo! But this usually happens at this time of year, my sewing room is too hot in the summer and there is a lot of gardening to do instead and one trip to Calgary in between.

Still I have made some progress on a few things....Orange Crush (working title only, in honour of the Netherlands in the world cup), final design, 14x16 = 224 squares:

 I have sewed all my squares into strips....this is the tricky part, you do not want them to get mixed up.

I numbered each row with an arrow to tell me which direction to press the seams.

I would stack my squares and sew one pair together and do a leaders and enders project (1.5 inch random squares) in between, which worked out fine until I ran out of squares!

near the end I tried to chain piece two strips at a time, but soon it went wonky and had to do some seam ripping to finish.
All the strips are done, do not have photo as wind blew them off the wall and I have not put them back up, good thing they are numbered!