I've made the flying geese and the pinwheels border. I haven't sewn it completely together yet, as I thought I would wait until I get the corner appliques done. This way I can applique on a small corner piece rather than the whole thing. I found some nice white fabric in my stash, that I could use for the applique background. It kind of softens all the busy fabric.
I tried a sample boerenbont, but I thought the blue pieces were a little too small to work with and needed a bit of exaggeration to look better.
Here is the bolder version:
I used some ribbon for the stem; it's only pinned on, I might need a darker shade of blue.