Friday, December 28, 2007

What quilt story would a Super Hero tell?

Tonya sent me an email with a link to this blog Black Threads. Kyra E Hicks is a quilter and author. Kyra asks the question What quilt story would a Super Hero tell and do Super Heroes quilt? Of course I had to weigh in with my 2 cents (see my comment to her post), but then I really started to think about it. What quilt story would they tell? Would it be the Batman story of the death of Robin, would you use pieces of their costumes, in crazy quilts or patches with their symbols on them? Would you use Superman's cape as the backing for the quilt? would the quilting citizens of the marvel universe join together to make tribute quilts after the fallout of Civil War like the quilts made in the wake of 9-11? Perhaps some well meaning therapist has the Joker thread up a crazy quilt in Arkham Asylum? Would Mary Jane take up quilting in her later years, while Peter Parker is out saving the world? or perhaps she would take it up to make a crib quilt when they have their first spider-baby? Aunt May, Martha Kent wouldn't they quilters? OK, OK I am being a bit of a comic nerd!

But how about the wonky superhero blocks I was making earlier. If I had a child I can imagine myself pointing out the different blocks and telling a little story about each superhero..."Do you know why Batman uses the bat as his symbol?" I would start out and then proceed to tell a little story of the origin of Batman, and of course the child would roll his eyes and say "Mom, I've heard that one before, tell me the one about the Punisher! Does he have lots of guns?" Ha! Kids say the darndest things!

Please check out Kyra's blog and website. I really enjoyed both, she posts a lot about Civil War quilts and the Underground Railway. In her kids lit blog she posts about books for kids.

3 comments:

Donna said...

interesting question.... :-) Not being a big superheroes fan I've morphed the question in my mind to other literary characters but it is quite the fun question to play with...

Sherlock Holmes with an "I spy" quilt?

comicbooklady said...

Exactly! Take your favourite TV show or book or movie and apply that question! It's a great exercise for your imagination! It's fun!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love the idea of telling the story about the blocks - you could do that in the quilt itself by quilting in words. or embroidering them - it would be awesome.

Aunt May and Martha quilting? Definitely. Whatever the Joker would come up with would probably be really scary.