Monday, July 28, 2008

Western Fair drops Home Arts Competition


The Western Fair is London's traditional fall fair, but I guess it isn't so traditional anymore. They've decided to drop the crafts or "Home Arts" as the politically correct call it. You can read about in the local paper here. This is starting to create a bit of buzz at our guild, you can read what I wrote on our guild blog here. Me, I never go to the Western Fair, it got too messy, it was too big to be cozy, and too small to be eventful. Overpriced entry fee, I didn't care for the rides, and the silly games, food was terrible, lots of wasps, in the outdoor part, and too much crap for sale in the main building, the animals were, well...looking at horses' butts in stalls wasn't that great either. Am I too much of a city girl to get it? Maybe I have to go with kids to see it through their eyes...and come to think of it, I can't remember even seeing the crafts...probably my husband steered me away. So tell me, is it the same for you, does your home town have a fall fair and is it any good?


Also! I want to thank all you wonderful bloggers out there for your really nice comments about Black Cats Staring, I really appreciate it! I think it's a record number of comments for me, you guys are great!

3 comments:

Donna said...

I don't "do" my local fair -- did as a teenager when I found the midway fun, but not since. I do remember going to western fair once with my grandfather. We took the train to TO. I won a big (36" panda bear) which I still have -- I would have been about 13 or so, and loved the looks and smiles I got from people coming home on the train with it, and then when I carried it through the airport to return to my home from my grandparents...

The Calico Cat said...

We have a county fair & I live rather close to the fair grounds, so I go see most of it. I skip the "MidWay" - where the rides are located.

I give the animals a once over - especially the chickens & roosters.

I spend a great deal of time in the crafty portion - everything from photography to quilts to kids crafts.

They also have a building that is devoted to the farm arts of the past - indoor & outdoors kind - so there is a general store & corn huskers. They even have the water driven devices & human driven devices working. Great fun for the kids.

I also try to get to the state fair every so often. (Same story as above.)

Carol E. said...

For the last 3 or 4 years I have been entering quilts in our county fair. I have made maybe $15 in prize money. I love seeing all the quilts and other arts/crafts. That's all I look at, then I leave. I don't do the state fair - too big, and I hate crowds.