Thursday, September 21, 2006


I actually was a busy little beaver and I finished the top for the "Suske" quilt, again without embellishments (it still needs some whiskers). This is the Morning Mews pattern from McKenna Ryan. (see link in sidebar, to compare)

This is the first time I've done this kind of applique or even made someone else's design. I usually steal parts of patterns, very rarely do I make one complete from pattern. Having said that, I just fell in love with the pattern when I saw it, but of course had to change "Dora" to "Suske" and of course my colours are different, but pretty close I guess. Suske is a mostly black with bits of orange tortoiseshell, so I thought that particular batik caught her essence.

I found all the cutting pieces a bit tiresome, as well as arranging and pressing them a little difficult, but I muddled through. The steam and seam was interesting too, you actually draw on the fusible part and if you don't cut inside the line some of those lines can show through along the edges.It didn't happen too often. I think once I quilt it, they'll disappear. That's of course the next question, how am I going to quilt that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fabric does capture your cats essence... (I have that pattern - I actually got the kit... No thinking when I get around to do ing it. - Honesty - I got all 3 of the kits!)

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I really like the batiks you used.